Phil’s resume in the world of broadcasting is an example for young, up-and-coming talent. He recognizes the challenges of breaking into broadcasting and is ever-willing to share his background and advice. I asked Phil if he would consider addressing my classes; not only did he accept the invitation, but has been visiting with my classes each semester for the last five years. If anyone needs an exceptional on-air talent, voice-over work, or someone to consult, I highly recommend Phil.
Phil is an expert in his field. I highly recommend him as a broadcaster, voice artist, and soccer commentator.
The best English-language play-by-play man in the country.
Phil is like an encyclopedia when it comes to soccer, but what really makes him stand out is his ease while on the air. He definitely makes watching a soccer game more enjoyable and entertaining. Aside from that, he’s always ready to teach, explain and mentor the people who work with him, and because of that I treasure the time we worked together. He really helped me be better at what I do and always showed a genuine willingness to improve in his trade, as well as help others around him succeed.
Phil is a multi-faceted sportscaster with a booming voice and friendly presentation that make him a joy to listen to no matter what he is broadcasting. When it comes to soccer, there’s no one more qualified to call a match than him, for he truly loves the sport.
Phil and I worked together throughout my career at Florida International University. His preparedness for his broadcast as well as his flexibility to bring in new technology as well as notes throughout his broadcasts made our partnership very successful. I look forward to the opportunity to work with him again and recommend him as a broadcaster and as an individual.
Phil is a very intelligent, highly prepared and extremely knowledgeable pro. I had the opportunity to work for and with Phil while freelancing at USLsoccer.com / Sportsio, LLC, and left impressed with his knowledge, work ethic, passion and compassion. Phil was great to work for and with, and his knowledge of the sport, both domestically and abroad, is truly mind-boggling. Phil’s a great voice and a great guy. He’s also got a lightning-quick wit and is a great guy to boot. I’d recommend Phil in a minute.
Phil is a top quality professional, with experience in many aspects of television and video production. We worked together at GolTV, where he demonstrated his commitment and skill with various projects. He is easy to work with, responsible, and helps get projects completed on a timely basis. He was always ready to adapt to any changes, which is important in putting together quality material for distribution. In short, I recommend him highly and would not hesitate to use him for any number of assignments and projects. A quality person and a quality producer and talent.
In an effort to get a better idea of how my voice is viewed by the people that know me best, I asked my facebook followers to describe it – my voice, style, delivery, etc. I had no idea how many of them would respond! (But I’m glad they did.)
- Fun. Wish I could be more descriptive but you always sound like you’re having fun which in turn, makes the match more enjoyable for me.
- In a word: sturdy
- Your voice is awesome… You are the best soccer the real football commentator in US.
- It is a great style. Enjoyable. Like it.
- Master !!!
- Authoritative and mellifluous
- To the point Very entertaining
- interesting 😘
- MEMORABLE! The second I hear it I know it’s you and I’m happy to hear it 👍
- Really and truly wouldn’t change a thing. Perfect mixture of talking about what is going on in field, history, and stats.
- Deep, reverent
- Honestly Phil. You are the best.
- I always chose to watch Spanish league on beIN Sports, although English isn’t my main language.
- You’re doing great Phil Schoen
- You always talk about players history and their development which gives a beautiful insight to new fans. On top of that a little bit more of emotion would be even better 😁
- You’re probably one of my favorite football commentators, and one of the few American ones that doesn’t feel the need to fill every point of a match with some talking point. Keep up the good work
- Majesterial, professional and at the same time warm and friendly
- Rich (it’s incredible)
- Excellent sportscaster voice. The best US voice at calling the game.
- Insightful… Honestly I only started watching football in 2014 and I watch nearly every Barca match and some of the international football you and Ray call… As a sports fan and someone who pursued journalism early in my life I think you are easily one of the best announcers in any sport, in the conversation with Al Michaels, Mike Breen, Joe Buck and Martin Tyler.
- Fantastic. Best American commentator.
- One of the most eloquent, educated and professional commentators the US has ever seen
- You’re capable of mixing it up and not repeating the same phrase over and over. Dunno what else to say but you guys are my favorite English commentators. Nice mix of facts and poetry.
- I enjoy your commentary. I like the stats and history. It shows that you’re a good researcher and a fan of the sport.
- The Al Michaels of Futbol.
- classy and exciting when called for.